Welcome to the Nature Center!
The Nature Center is closed due to COVID-19.
The Nature Center is located in the heart of the Celery Fields – Sarasota County’s number one birding destination! Once an agricultural mecca for celery farmers, today the Celery Fields is the county’s award winning storm water treatment area and one of the ‘birdiest’ places on the Great Florida Birding Trail. With 400+ acres of restored wetlands, it provides habitat for 246 species of birds and a diversity of wildlife. Stopping by the Nature Center will enhance your enjoyment of the Celery Fields with education, information and amenities:
• Talk to our knowledgeable Audubon Docents about the birds and wildlife of the Celery Fields – and around the county
• Find out about our local habitat and wetlands
• Learn about sustainable design in our LEED GOLD certified building
• Brown bag it and watch birds from our large, covered patio
• Refill your water bottle at our hydration station
• Shop at our gift store for hats, water bottles and more
• Pick up an Audubon Activity Schedule or sign up for birding class or a workshop
Information and education available in the Nature Center.
Open Daily 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. from October 1 through May 31
GREENING the Nature Center
We’re proud of our eco-friendly Nature Center and our green team!
Here are just a few of the features of our new Center – please stop by and learn more from our informative panels and staff:
• 6,000sf footprint; 2,500sf inside space; 3,500sf outside space. Our outside space consists of 1,500sf open pavilion;
500sf patio overlooking gardens; 8-feet wide covered walkway around entire building
• Gold-certified LEED building
• Solar paneling (our energy consumption is net zero)
• Tubular skylights
• Public room/class room 1,250sf
• 2 handicapped accessible bathrooms
• Break room
• Admin office with 3 work stations
• Office for future executive director
• Classes/workshops will hold 50 seated at tables and will be held before and after official opening hours
Learn more about the Celery Fields here